Tried plugging Plantronics CS55 into Cisco IP phone headset port. Why doesn’t it work?

April 18th, 2009

The Cisco IP phones (series 7940, 7941, 7960, 7961) have a dedicated headset port on the back and a headset button right on the front of the phone. If you buy a wireless headset like the CS55 or CS70 WITHOUT also buying the optional HL10 handset lifter, then you will plug the CS55 base into your Cisco phone’s dedicated headset port and you must change the configuration setting on the CS55 base tower to number 4. This is the round dial with the slit down the middle which is located on the left side of the CS55 base tower. Turn the dial until the number 4 is directly lined up with the raised plastic ridge to the right of it. When a call comes in, turn on your headset by pressing the button on your earpiece and also press the “Headset” button on your Cisco phone to answer the call. Press the same buttons to end the call. You obviously won’t be able to answer or end a call while away from your desk since the Headset button on your Cisco desk phone is acting as your hookswitch.
On the other hand, if you have a wireless headset AND you also have purchased the optional HL10 automatic handset lifter, then you will ignore your phone’s headset port and headset button completely. You’ll plug your wireless headset into your Cisco phone’s handset receiver port and your handset receiver into the other port on the bottom of the wireless headset base tower marked with a symbol of a handset receiver. In this set up you will want the configuration dial on the left side of the base tower to be turned to number 1 so that the 1 is directly lined up with the raised plastic ridge to the right of the dial. When a call comes in you have one-touch call answer/end capability by just pressing the button on your earpiece. No need to press any button on your Cisco phone, so you can answer/end from anywhere in your 300 ft. range.
Here’s the link to Founders Telecom for all the Plantronics CS55 and a link to the Plantronics HL10 handset lifter if you need it.

Entry Filed under: Cisco 7940,Cisco 7960,Cisco headset

24 Comments Add your own

• 1. Anonymous  |  July 6th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Great tip. Thanks!

• 2. Anonymous  |  July 1st, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Exactly what I needed to know. Rock.

• 3. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

how do you get the call notification to work? I have a 7962 ip phone and a cs55 with a handset lifter. on our old system we would hear a beep in the earpiece when there was an incoming call. Now I can't leave earshot of the phone because there is no notification of incoming call on the earpiece.

• 4. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

My phone was set up correctly, but still wouldn't automatically lift the handset. Literally, after coming to this site and just reading it it started working.

Are you a wizard?

• 5. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

This is the answer to a problem I have had for a year now since we rolled this headset out with a Cisco 7961 ip phone.

• 6. Bob  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Are you still around? I am having trouble with my CS55 – Cisco 7960 combo. I tried all of the steps listed here as well as system reset and re-provisioning, but still not able to get any sound out of the earpiece. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 7. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thank you for the tip. Fixed my problem!!!

• 8. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

You made my day quite a bit easier. Thanks!

• 9. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Good info, thank you.

• 10. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I LOVE YOU! Thank you

• 11. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Nice thanks!

• 12. Howard  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

this worked! Thanks!

• 13. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:40 pm

THANK YOU!!! My company just deployed Cisco 7945's and neither Cisco, our Cisco consultants. nor the rep(s) at Plantronics could figure this out.

Thanks again.

• 14. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:54 pm

This works with a Cisco 6945 phone as well.

• 15. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Any chance someone could tell me how to get my Plantronics CS55 headset to work with my Cisco SPA 303 phone? I had to switch phones and now I cannot get it to work. I have set all volumes to loud for in/out, and set the I/II to I for non-auto lift. I set the dial to 1 and have since tried the other settings as well. The handset receiver is plugging in to the CS55, and it works…so I know the audio is being carried. I have reset the device and everything has been unplugged / plugged back in, first the phone and then the headset once the phone is functional. I lift the handset and make a call. Once connected, I turn the headset on to take over the audio, but my headset cannot hear or be heard at all. If anyone out there has any suggestions I am all ears.

• 16. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Still helpful on Cisco IP Phone 7942 paired with Plantronics CS55. Thanks!

• 17. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I have the Plantronics cs50/55 and when I push the ear piece to answer a call, it rings about 2 or 3 times more before it picks up the call. Why does it take "so long"?

• 18. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Hey great advice, I finally nailed it with your advice. Thanks

• 19. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I had to turn my dial to 3, then it worked like a charm!! Cisco 7961 IP Phone w/ Plantronics CS 70 model earpiece. Many Thanks!!

• 20. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I have the Plantronics CS55, with a lifter, and a Cisco IP 7942 phone. It will make the call, but I can't hear the call through the headset. Any suggestions.

• 21. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:57 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

My neck was going crooked until I found this page!

• 22. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Years later and your information still dead on and priceless, Thank You!

• 23. Unknown  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I've been able to make my headset worked with this phone with the exception that when i'm on the headset, sound comes out the speakerphone speaker. Any ideas?

• 24. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:58 pm