Help! My CS50, CS55 or CS70 wireless headset stopped working! What should I do?

April 17th, 2009

Your headset was working just fine. You show up for work today and it’s dead or giving nothing but super loud static. Why? How did this happen? How do I fix it? Fortunately, the fix is easy. Follow these step by step instructions to re-synch (or as Plantronics calls it, “Re-Subscribe”) your headset and base back to one another.

Step 1: System Reset
A.) Press both the talk button and the mute control button on the headset simultaneously for 10 seconds. When the talk indicator light on the headset blinks, release both buttons.

B.) Press the talk button again and then release.

C.) Disconnect the AC power adapter from the AC power outlet and leave it unplugged for 10 seconds, then reconnect.

The system reset operation is now complete. If your problem has now been resolved, there’s no need to go on to Step 2 below. If the problem still exists, please continue to the Subscription Reset operation below.

Step 2: Subscription Reset
A.) Place the headset into the base charging cradle and be sure that it is pressed down and seated all the way in the charger.

B.) Press and hold both of the talk volume fine tune buttons on the back of the base (the buttons marked “+” and “-“) simultaneously for a minimum of 10 seconds. The power indicator light on the base will flash red and you can release the buttons.

C.) Next, push and hold the mute control button on the headset for a minimum of 5 seconds. The talk indicator on the headset will light up green. (Note: The black volume rocker switch on the earpiece is the mute control when it is pushed in.)

Successful re-subscription is indicated when the power indicator on the base is fully illuminated and the talk indicator light on the headset is off.

D.) To complete the process, disconnect the AC power adapter from the AC power outlet and leave it unplugged for 10 seconds, then reconnect.

If this doesn’t solve the problem, please double-check your settings:

• The back of the charging base tower should be set to 2;
  • The bottom (underneath) of the charging base tower should be set to B;
  • The left side of the charging base tower with the round dial should be set to 1 (lined up with the raised plastic ridge to the right of the dial).

If it now works but you sound like you’re in an echo chamber, all you need to do is press the down arrow button on the back side of the base charging tower a few times to reduce your outbound volume and this should solve the echo problem.

If you still have no luck and your headset is over 2 years old, you may be due for a new Plantronics battery which you can buy here.

Entry Filed under: battery for CS50,battery for CS55,Plantronics CS50,Plantronics CS55,Plantronics CS70N,Plantronics wireless headset

10 Comments Add your own

• 1. Vince  |  July 7th, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I am using CS50 and Cisco IP phone 7960…everything is working fine except hearers can not hear me…but i can hear people ok…I went back and forth and check all setups as recommended and reset my phone…and problem still exists…

Anyone out there have succesfully got CS50 to work with Cisco IP phone??? Please advise…Thanks..

• 2. HeadsetCentral  |  July 7th, 2009 at 4:38 pm

If you are plugging the CS50 into the dedicated headset port on the Cisco IP phone then you need to change the configuration setting on the ROUND DIAL on the left side of the CS50 base tower to number 4. The number 4 should be directly lined up with the raised plastic ridge to the right of the dial. That should solve the problem. (NOTE: For those users who have the optional Plantronics HL10 handset lifter installed, then the configuration dial should be set to number 1 instead and you will plug the CS50 into the handset receiver port of your phone, not the dedicated headset port.)

• 3. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I just moved offices and installed my CS50. After three days in the new office, the CS50 apparently died. No lights come on on the base station. I checked the wall wart dc adapter with a multi-meter and it seems to put out no current. I have never heard of one of those just failing. Am I missing something? Anything else I should check?

• 4. Paul H  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I have a Polycom IP670 with the CS60 plugged into the headset port. it works great if I use the headset button on the phone but I'm unable go off hook with the answer button on the headset.

I've tried the rotary selector on 2 and most settings on the phone but nothing. Do I need the app-5 cable or should this work as-is?

I if I need the cable, is it just a "cable" that I can make or is there some circuitry in there?

• 5. Anonymous  |  September 21st, 2011 at 11:40 pm

My CS50 headset was working fine. Had 2 days off of work, come into office and it would not work. I followed re-subscription and system reset processes and now the base Power LED will not come on, although charging light is on. Headset will not work.

• 6. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Yay! Thanks so much for the directions, it worked!
    Thank you!!!!

• 7. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Used it last night. Came in this morning and it would lift the arm on the phone received but no dial tone, just an anoying buzz.

Thinking it was a bad battery, I replaced the battery. Still just an annoying tone. The green charging light on the ear peice will not come on while on the base.

Followed the above steps and still. Annoying tone and the green light on the head set is not on.

• 8. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:56 pm

The handset passthrough does not work on my CS50. Cisco 7970 phone. Handset plugged into "handset" port on Plantronics base. Connection from Plantronics base to "handset" port on back of phone via the "short cable" that came with Plantronics (has filters on each end, I believe). If I pick up my handset, I can hear just fine passing through the Plantronics base, but it's like my handset microphone is muted. If I take the Plantronics base out of the equation and plug the handset directly into the phone, it works fine (I can both hear and speak). Interestingly, if I turn on the wireless headset, I can also hear and speak just fine through that. It's only the microphone on my telephone handset that does not work when I try to use the passthrough on the Plantronics base (even though I can HEAR just fine, loud and clear, on it). I've tried all the settings and combinations of the switches/dials on the base – although I don't see how some of those would even have any effect on the functionality of the telephone handset passthrough (and I suspect some of them did not). Any ideas? Busted base?

• 9. Anonymous  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

will the Plantronics CS50 or CS55 work on the new Toshiba 5000 series IP telephones

• 10. Allison West  |  September 9th, 2013 at 11:59 pm